Before treating acne, one should know first what you’re trying to get rid of. If there’s any consolation, you’re not the only one who has this problem.
So what is Acne? It refers to skin conditions like clogged pores which may result in either blackheads or whiteheads, pimples, or worse, lumps that may not only appear on the face, but also on the chest, neck, back, and other parts of the body. Almost everyone goes through the same problem at one point in their life although teenagers are more prone to it. Many may be lucky enough to resolve their acne problems with little intervention – like using over-the-counter treatments. However, there are those with severe case of acne who may have to consult a dermatologist.
With medical advances nowadays, knowing how to get rid of acne may be easier for some however, knowing all the available treatments can be overwhelming. As a result, people with acne problems tend to experiment with treatments one after the other, especially if they find little or no effect at all.
Although some manage to prevent acne with good skin care, people with acne problem seek treatment for different cases like healing existing lesions, stopping additional breakouts, preventing scarring or simply lessening the stress and embarrassment experienced with this problem.
Here are some tips on how to get rid of acne, depending on the degree of severity:
• Frequent face washing, usually twice daily with unscented soap or mild cleanser, is recommended for removing excessive oil. Oily skin may need more than what is recommended. Doing this routine will degrease the skin, since excessive oil on the face could contribute to acne. However, do not forget to be gentle to your skin. Scrubbing, using a cleansing puff, washcloth or abrasive cleaner may irritate your skin.
• No matter how tempted you are never pop, squeeze or pick at acne for it may only make it worse. Doing so may lead to permanent acne scars. In addition, it can irritate the skin. Irritated skin is more prone to breakouts.
• For those with mild acne, several products prove to be effective and are available even without a prescription. Products that contain benzoyl peroxide or salicylic acid are usually recommended. The type of product for a specific skin type should also be considered. An acne gel or solution would work best for oily skin while acne cream or lotion is recommended for dry skin.
• Any acne product should be applied on clean skin. It is highly suggested that the product is applied not only on the blemishes but also to the entire acne-prone area to increase effectiveness.
• Consult a dermatologist if you believe you’ll need help, especially if your acne is severe.
You may find these tips helpful on how to get rid of acne; however, it is still best to consider prevention first rather than finding a cure.